Is a condition where there is an obstruction of the lymphatic system leading to accumulation of the lymph fluids in parts of the body, resulting in variable degrees of swelling, decreased mobility and risk of infection. There are two types of lymphedema:
Primary lymphedema occurs with no obvious cause. Recent research suggests that it could happen as a result of some genetic mutation that affects the development of the lymphatic system. Primary lymphedema affects women more than men and it affects the legs more than the arms.
A very common form of lymphedema that develops after cancer surgeries such as breast, testicular, head, neck and colon cancer surgeries.
Other causes of secondary lymphedema:
- Radiation therapy.
- Chronic inflammatory diseases: Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), Osteoarthritis (OA), Eczema.
- Heart and lung conditions: congestive heart failure, interstitial lung diseases and pneumonia.
Signs of Lymphedema
- Pain, heaviness and reduced mobility.
- Perceived disfigurement is one of the main concern for a major sector of lymphedema patients.
- Secondary complications like stiff joints, weak muscles, back /neck pains, skin infections wounds and ulcers.
Our program at PVC
PVC Physiotherapy Brampton offers prompt and effective care for patients with lymphedema. Our lymphedema therapist is an experienced and qualified clinical specialist certified in Complex Decongestive Therapy (CDT) and specifically trained in the Vodder- Folde Method, an internationally well-known treatment method.
CDT combines Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD), compression bandaging, decompression exercises and meticulous skin care.
Bioflex LASER therapy is a proven method that is widely used with lymphedema patients.
Exercises and weight loss programs are used to promote faster recovery and prevent complications.
We provide a High Level of Care in the Treatment of Lymphedema that includes:
- One on one treatment.
- Home care programs.
- Patient and family education.
- Access to community services and vendors.